Monday, January 17, 2011

My Filipina Wife Part#11 Preparing for Baby, changes, and promises kept

1994-1995 Dodge Grand Caravan photographed in ...Image via Wikipedia

It's a new year (Happy new year all) and like all new years, it is a time to expect big changes in our lives. We all hope at the begining of each year that this year will be different for us than the last one. We all want changes (for the better of course) in the year ahead that will make the new year much differnet from the last.

With the new year now upon us, i can truely say that for us, changes are happening big time, and ALL for the better.

We now know that our biggest change will of course be an addition to the family. My wife is expecting to give birth somewhere around the second week of July. We won't know for another couple of weeks or more yet on whether it will be a boy or a girl, but we do know one thing for sure. We WILL be having a baby.

You all know how it feels to know you will be a dad soon (or a mom also) and i am now experiencing it myself. Just five short years ago i would never have believed i would ever be married and having children. Now here i am married for three years and now a baby due soon. My how life can change. And i couldn't be more overjoyed than i am for everything that has happened in the last three years.

Then there is the smaller things. I have not had a smoke now in three solid years. I promised my wife when i first visited her in the Philippines that i would quit smoking. You will know how hard that is to do if you ever tried to do it yourself. After smoking for over 30 years ( at least a pack a day) it was NO easy thing to do. I had tried many times to quit. Before this last time the longest i went was about four months, before i ended up starting again. It was not easy. But this last time i actually had a valid reason to do it. I think that is the biggest hurdle to trying to quit. You NEED to have a valid reason. Mine was a promise to my new wife that by the time ahe arrived here after receiving her landed immigrant card, i would no longer be smoking. What worked best for me was using the nicotine filled lausenges. That was the thing that finally worked for me. I have been smoke free now for the past three years. What a difference it has made for me. I would recommend everyone try their best to quit.

Then the wife really surprised me two weeks ago as i was reading the newspaper on a Sunday. I made comment on a sale price on a minivan in the paper, already turning the page and ready to forget it. And the wife makes a comment back that if thats a good price then maybe we should get it. Now that almost knocked me out of my chair. We had absolutely NO plans on getting a new car. We were actually looking at getting another 3 years out of the car we have now before we even looked at anything new. I guess now that we are having a baby your perspectives really can change. But i wasn't really expecting it to come from my wife. Not from the woman who will pinch every penny where possible.
But out it came. The next thing you know, i was down at the car lot that same afternoon, and i was driving a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan 3 days later. And let me tell you, thats a big step up from the 2002 NEON i was driving. But i thing i can safely say we now have a "family" car.

The only thing left now is to find a house. We are currently renting an apartment. I think it's time to look at either moving up to renting a townhouse, or purchasing if possible.

Talk about changes for the new year hummm???/ New baby, new car, new home. I can safely say i am loving life.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the language civil. No vulgarity please.